Tuesday, December 15, 2009

“They say where there are bananas, there are no secrets.” –JR, CD

This past week was essentially our last week of training as we know it!

Two other trainees and I worked last weekend to organize an all-day Tech workshop for Wednesday where we could tie up all the loose ends that were left after nine weeks of training. I’m happy to report that the workshop was a success! I think most of us left feeling much more confident about walking into a new school all alone and establishing ourselves with our co-workers and students. Most importantly, we drafted a 12-week curriculum to use for our first trimester. Whew!

On Thursday we had a small ceremony to bid farewell to our resource families, which also went really well. My resource mom gave me a huge bag of delicious avocadoes, mangoes, papaya, and pineapple! After nine weeks together everybody was much more comfortable than when we first met our families, and it was great to see the relaxed dynamic.

And the best news of all: we found out our sites Friday! I will be in Mukamira, Nyabihu district, which is in the Northwest. I know that doesn’t mean much to most of you, but I am so excited because I’m really close to the volcanoes! Our Country Director said you can definitely see them from my house on clear days. Now if that’s not enough reason for you to come visit I don’t know what is!

We’re tying up a few administrative loose ends this week and then on Thursday we’re off to Kigali to swear in on Saturday!

Love and miss you all. Thank you, Tanya, for sending me a picture of the Shaw Christmas tree!



My resource mom and I at the Farewell Party.

No comments:

Post a Comment