Thursday, October 1, 2009

FOUR days

So, basically, AAAAHHHH!!! If you know me well, you know the level of (sometimes obnoxious) intensity with which I approach everything in my life, and preparing to leave for Rwanda has been no exception.

To begin with, I only found out where I'm going and when I'm leaving FIVE weeks prior to my departure. Of course every approaching weekend was suddenly booked as soon as I found out, and I quickly dove into a schedule which could best be described now as a blur. I've come a long way in the last few days, though, and I definitely feel like if I can just get everything strung out across my bedroom floor into a nice, neat, 80 lb. luggage limit, I'll be fine!

In terms of leaving, I'm most nervous about two things: my flight to Philadelphia and my passport. I'm scheduled to arrive at orientation only an hour before it begins so I really don't have room for bad weather or any of the typical setbacks that tend to accompany travel. Additionally, we have to get separate passports for Peace Corps, and given the timing of everything I only gave the big people about 4 and a half weeks to process mine. Yikes!

Despite all of this, though, I remain absolutely thrilled with the ideas I have about what lies ahead of me. I have never felt more fortunate to receive anything than I do this privilege to serve, and I could not be happier that it's going to happen in Rwanda. Who knows how I'll feel two years from now, but tonight, I don't feel like I could have hand-picked this opportunity better myself.

2 comments: