Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Nitwa Tressa. Ndi umukorerabusake wa Peace Corps.

We left Kigali on Sunday and are now in the town where we'll spend the next 2 months learning Kinyarwanda and how to teach English to Rwandans.

I love this area so far. We're split into four different houses, and they are so nice! We don't always have running water, but we can always go get water and we ALWAYS have electricity! The walk from my house to where I'm taking classes is about 20 minutes, and the second half of it smells deliciously like honeysuckle.

We only started formal classes yesterday, but of course most of us began asking our teachers how to say things far before. I spent Monday learning the parts of the body and how to count to five. My first full non-greeting Kinyarwanda sentence, then, was something to the effect of "I have one nose!" Star student here, people.

We're in classes from 8-5, with about half of that dedicated to language and the other half to learning how to teach here. The food is amazing so far, but I do have one request: please, please, please send me so much chocolate you think I could not possibly want that much chocolate, and the same with Hot Tamales.

This is one of the views from my house. You'll all be happy to know we're walled in. I wanted to post more pictures, but it takes forever.

Amahoro (peace).

2 comments:

  1. sounds amazing T! keep up with the updates please, I miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool picture, looks like a good place to come visit! Hope all is going well

    ReplyDelete