Friday, October 9, 2009

I'm in Rwanda!

I'm here at the Peace Corps Headquarters in Kigali, Rwanda! There's wireless Internet here, and luckily I packed my handy little laptop in my bag and can update you all!

After over 24 hours of traveling we arrived in Kigali around 7pm Thursday. It was raining and the weather felt amazing. I think the man at the Immigration desk summed up my disheveled, exhausted state perfectly when he looked at my passport photo, hair and make-up done neatly, and asked, "This is you?"

Today is my second full day in the capital, and I am loving it so far. Kigali is absolutely beautiful! We spent the day yesterday getting shots, filling out paperwork, and touring this amazing city! I also got a phone; email me if you want my new number! The country director held a reception for all of us at his house last night, and it was a lot of fun. We got to meet some of the current volunteers and learned a little about what it will be like to live here full-time on our own!

We haven't officially started training yet, but I'm already learning some useful words and phrases in Kinyarwanda! I can say 'Good morning,' 'how are you?' 'I'm fine,' and 'Thank you!' We're leaving tomorrow to move to our actual training site and I think we officially start training on Monday. I have absolutely no idea what my electricity/Internet situation will be there, but I promise I'll try to update as often as I can!

This is one of the beautiful views from where we're staying during our first few days in Rwanda.

1 comment:

  1. This is not Carrol but Cindy, I don't know how to fix this problem, so my name will be Carrol I guess??I am glad you arrived safe and sound, the pics look so beautiful. Your dad is so very worried about you, I will print this out for him

    ReplyDelete